- Trip Outline
- Trip Includes
- Trip Excludes
The Chadar Frozen River Trek
The Chadar Frozen River Trek is one of the most sought after winter treks, also known as the Zanskar Frozen River Trek. It is located in the remote regions of Zanskar River Valley in Ladakh. The trek is an amazing walk over the frozen Zanskar River through the narrow gorges. The scenery is breathtaking with rugged mountains on all sides and the white frozen river in the middle. The word Chadar is a Hindi word which literally translates to bedspread(BedSheet). When the river is freezing it looks like a huge white bedspread. Since olden times during winters Zanskar River is the pathway to people in remote villages to access Ladakh Town. All the roads to villages in Zanskar valley close in winters due to heavy snowfall. The villagers walk for days pulling and carrying their sledges over the Chadar on Zanskar River to reach the road head.
Best Season for Zanskar Valley
The water in the river starts freezing from early December. If the weather permits Chadar forms very well by the end of December. Once the Chadar formation is stable and safe, the local villagers trek towards Leh which is also the district headquarters. These villagers are mostly the people working as guides, assistant guides, porters and logistic support in trekking operations and come from the remote villages. The speciality of Chadar frozen river trek is the guides and support staff including porters working in this trek are always the local people from the remote villages of Zanskar Valley. The supports staff is always the people from the local villages of Zanskar Valley. This helps the trekkers to experience and immerse in the unique culture and lifestyle of this immensely charming ‘Zanskaris’.
Once the villagers reach Leh, they also bring with them the actual ground reality of the river conditions. Then the officials do the necessary arrangements like setting up the medical camps, mobilising the rescue and insurance services. As soon as the arrangements are satisfactorily completed, the administration starts issuing the trek permits. Organisations like ALTOA, Wildlife and Environment Department, Insurance Provider, and local health services, issue the permit in liaison with the administration. The trek usually starts from January first week and ends by mid of February. After mid-February, the river becomes riskier for trekking.
This trek is very popular even with the first time trekkers with negligible experience. In reality, the trek is highly technical and to survive the whole trek one has to face some of the most extreme unforgiving conditions in the world.
Why Live360 for Chadar Frozen River Trek 2021
To make the trek more comfortable, safe and fun, Live360 follow very strict operating procedures at par with World standards. We ensure group size is small of 12 to 15 participants only so individual attention and care can be given. The accommodation before and after the trek is in very comfortable hotels at Leh. During the acclimatization stay in Leh before the start of the trek, we utilize the time to train and prepare the participants for the hard trek ahead. We provide personalised advice and assistance in your trek preparation, gear purchase and travel planning from the day you book the trek with us.
All the required COVID 19 protocols will be followed in this 9 days trek. There will be provision for the participant to choose the type of accommodation in both hotel in Leh and tents while on the trek. During the stay in Leh before the trek, there will be regular sessions which would help you better perform in the trek and acclimatise faster. Gears of all the participants will be checked and appropriate advises will be provided early enough before the trek so that the necessary changes can be done if required.
This 9 days and 8 nights trekking programme start from your arrival in Leh Airport till you are dropped back in Leh airport.
Arrival in Leh and Rest
Acclimatization & Gear check
Medical Tests, Permits, & packing
Drive to Trek start Point and Trek to Tsoma Paldar
Trek from Tso Paldar to Tibb Cave
Trek from Tibb Cave to Naerek
Trek from Naerek to Tibb
Trek from Tibb to road head & drive to Leh
Departure from Leh
- Expert mountaineering guide
- Skilled local staff who has ample knowledge of the route.
- Airport Pick at 9:30 am and Drop 5:00 am (Fixed timing)transfers apart from mentioned timings will be at extra cost for INR 600 one way per person.Alto/Omni/Traveller
- Transportation from Leh to Trekking Point on Day 4 and Trekking Point to Leh on Day 8
- Breakfast and Dinner when in Leh on Day 1, Day 2, Day 3, Day 8 and Day 9 Breakfast only
- Vegetarian meals on the trek (Breakfast/Lunch/Dinner) starting on Day 4 Pack Lunch to Day 8 Breakfast
- Stay in Guest Houses on Triple/Quad sharing basis in Leh on Day 1, Day 2, Day 3 and Day 8.
- Hot water in buckets shall be provided on request while staying in Guest House in Leh
- Stay in Alpine/Dome Tents on Triple/Quad Sharing basis on Day 4, Day 5, Day 6 and Day 7
- Common Kitchen/Dining/Toilet tents will be used during the trek
- Cooks/Helper and other requisite staff.
- Porters for carrying common equipments (like rations/tents/utensils/groceries)
- Equipment – Tents on triple & quad sharing basis / Sleeping bags / Sleeping Mats
- Basic First aid Kit with a portable oxygen cylinder.
- The facility of keeping extra luggage at Leh when leaving for the trek
- GST @ 5%
- Personal trekking equipment – like Gum Boots, trekking poles or sleeping bag liners
- Personal insurance or the cost of emergency evacuation
- Purchases of personal natures (like mineral water bottles/bottled or canned beverages/chocolates/dry fruits etc)
- Personal Porters for carrying trekker’s backpacks @ INR 3750 Per 10 KGs for 5 days from Day 4 to Day 8 subject to availability at the time of booking
- Room Heaters at Guest House in Leh(We suggest not to use the room heaters as the same dehydrate the body and your body won’t get acclimatize to gear up for the Chadar trek)
- Cost of transport, meals and stay if in case you leave the trek in between and return to Leh before the scheduled arrival on Day 8
- Permit/Wildlife fee/ALTOA fee/Insurance
Pricing NameStartEndGroup (Min-Max)Pricing
No Details Found